Hi, I’m Monica Rosquillas and I’m passionate about sustainable living!
Here’s a bit more info about me:
- I was born and raised in Chula Vista, California
- I have 1 younger sister and her name is Rosé, like Jose but with an R
- My first language is Spanish (which I learned from my Mexican parents)
- I studied International Security and Conflict Resolution with an emphasis on Environment and Security at San Diego State University (phew!)
- My first year at college I was “Undeclared/Undecided” and my second and third years I was in Environmental Engineering
- I worked as an English teacher in South Korea for one year (one of the best years of my life) 안녕하세요
- My partner’s name is Fernando and he’s the best thing that ever happened to me.
- We have an adopted boxer, Apolo, and he’s our furchild
- From 2012-2016 I was an environmental educator, teaching thousands of students about landfills, watersheds, the Pacific Garbage Patch, and deadzones
- While working as an environmental educator I became obsessed with plastic and waste and decided to drastically reduce them from my life
- In 2016 Fernando and I traveled for 8 months in South East Asia refusing disposable plastics every damn day! You can read more about that here.
- I have dual citizenship: US & Spanish (Spanish from my paternal grandparents)
- Fernando and I live at my parents home, with my parents. We’re 32 and 31, so why? 1) We are able to save thousands of dollars 2) My mom loves it 3) It’s more sustainable
- I drive an electric car. It’s not eco friendly, it’s just less bad than a gas car.
- I eat a mostly plant based diet, for ethical and environmental reasons
- I had depression for a long time, it’s the worst thing I think I’ll ever experience. I’m much better now and sometimes just stop and think “man, I’m so thankful I’m not depressed any more”
- My goal in life is to be happy, give back to the world, and inspire others to live healthier & more sustainable lives.